Keep in touch
Enjoying this page?
Support the Friends
Our work would not continue without the support of people like you. If you can make a donation of any amount, please click the button. Thank you.
You can also support us by searching for books about Yorkshire here
Or by searching for any amazon product using the box below
Who are The Friends?
Founded in 1988, the Friends of Oakwell Hall and Country Park are a voluntary support group for this wonderfully authentic 16th Century Manor House in Yorkshire - and for its surrounding 110 acres of country park. We undertake a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities at Oakwell Hall including:
- acting as guides in the Hall on selected Sunday afternoons in the summer - sometimes in period costume!
- helping visitors who take part in activities such as making lavender bags, pomanders, play Victorian games or even write with a quill pen!
- helping on the Tea Stall on selected event days - our ladies are renowned for their refreshments and delicious home-baking.
- helping at major events - including Yorkshire Day in August and the Christmas Craft Fair at the beginning of December
- giving out information, organising car-parking - there's always something to do!
- writing articles for our award-winning newsletter. Produced by the Friends - for the Friends - three times a year, this newsletter not only aims to provide up-to-date information but also gives members the opportunity of sharing their interests.
- The Friends Volunteer work parties are held on the first Saturday of each month and usually cover a wide range of light tasks in the Park. We start at 10am, meeting at the Depot adjacent to the staff car park and opposite the Oak Tree Cafe. If you're interested we'd be pleased to see you but please ring to check that the workshop is taking place and to get further details.
It's a great way to learn new skills, meet old and new friends and be out and about in the fresh air in wonderful surroundings.
Come and join in - it's great fun and never boring.
You can see some of us on this video talking about our work.